Packing essentials you will need for moving day
With so many people moving every day, and moving industry being so developed, it is important to know some moving basics. Especially if you are moving for the first time, or if your previous moves were chaotic and stressful. Even though there is a lot to do, moving process doesn’t have to be overwhelming and complicated. The key to success when it comes to moving is being prepared in advance and having the right packing essentials. If you follow our little guide to packing essentials necessary for the moving day, you’ll have your move smooth and easy.
Before you need any packing essentials…
Of course, moving days are all about packing. If you do it systematically, packing can be a piece of cake. Just be sure to:
- declutter your home – getting rid of the items you don’t need means less packing and lower moving costs. So be sure to recycle or donate (or even sell!) the items that are not used in your home.
- organize your items – you will need less packing essentials and supplies if your items are neatly organized and sorted. Group the boxes by rooms they go to, and you will have no problems unpacking and sorting them out.
After you sort out all your items, you need to start packing them into boxes. Even though it seems simple, there are some packing essentials that will make that job way easier and simpler. Here’s what you will need :
- of course, moving boxes. You need to have the right amount of moving boxes and they need to be in good shape. Always check if the bottom of the boxes is sturdy enough and not damaged or wet, to avoid any accidents or breakage. Also, get boxes of various sizes – small, medium and big ones, depending on your needs.
- plastic bins – these are maybe a bit more expensive, but you can use them for a long time for storage.
- tape – a lot of it. After you pack everything inside a box, tape it securely several times.
- markers/labels – use these to label your boxes. Write down what is inside, so you will need less time unpacking once you arrive at your new home.
- a dolly – this handy thing can make loading boxes onto a truck very easy.
- a rope – some boxes need to be secured to stay in place during the drive.
- gloves – your hands will suffer a lot if you don’t protect them.
- linens/blankets – fragile items like mirrors or TVs are better protected with these.
Moving day and the first couple of days at your new home
With all the hassle around moving, we sometimes forget what are the things we need after we arrive at our new home. So among all packing essentials, don’t forget to pack items you need on your first day. This way you won’t have to go through boxes a search for those things, being tired as we always are on a moving day.
First aid kit
Let a first aid kit be close to you at all times. Unexpected cuts or bruises can happen during loading/unloading, so be sure to have some bandage, Band-Aids, tweezers, etc.
We all know how short these new batteries last, and having a charger with you can save the day. Furthermore, you can have some spare batteries, too. You may need them for a lamp, remote control and other devices you can’t charge.
This one is a must! Especially if you happen to move on a rainy day, extra pieces of clothing are always necessary. Also have a set of pajamas ready, too. This way you can go to bed on the first night without looking through bags and boxes.
Cosmetics and toiletries
Since carrying boxes and unpacking is a lot of work, this one is quite logical. Have toiletries like shampoos, soaps, shower gels, toothbrushes – all the items you use before you go to bed. Don’t forget some towels, too!
You can always order a delivery or have a takeaway on your first night at your new home. However, you should have some spoons, forks, knives, plates (even plastic ones) ready for the first day/night. Also, have some cups and glasses, too!
If you have any therapy or medicines you take every day, don’t forget it on your moving day. It is true that moving days are chaotic and stressful, but our health is more important. So don’t forget your daily health routine even on the moving day!
Snacks, Drinks, Coffee
These may be one of the most important packing essentials. Since moving is a lot of work, it is necessary to have some snacks, sandwiches, cold drinks and refreshing coffee to help you out. Especially if you have friends or family members helping you out – the will appreciate some refreshments for sure.
Take care of your pets
If you have any pets moving with you, don’t forget about their needs, too. You need to pack their food and water, or anything else they might need. However, we advise that you arrange for them to stay with somebody else while you are moving house.
As you can see, there are a lot of details to think about when it comes to packing supplies and essentials. However, these small details can make a big difference to your moving process and make it much easier! Enjoy and have a safe trip!